20050920

Logitech Remote Review


For $249, don't lose this one in between the sofa cushions.
Remote control is hardly a perfect science. Combine the functions of thousands of remotes speaking various languages into strings of commands operating at different speeds, and you’ve got a constantly evolving database of complicated codes and communication. The only universal remotes I’ve seen that worked flawlessly are expensive touchscreen-based remotes requiring hours and hours of painstaking programming. Custom installation pros can charge $2,000 or more for the service.



At $249, the Harmony 880 offers a good alternative. It offers easy setup, distinguishing features and a patient toll-free customer support team as backup. The more complicated your system, the more important the latter will be, but I found the tech support friendly and helpful each time I called.



On the down side, I don’t like having to plug my remote into an outlet. It’s not convenient and just adds another unwelcome wire to the living room.



I appreciate how much work has gone into the Harmony process. I have my work cut out for me to tweak the custom buttons to my satisfaction, but Harmony has the tools I need to make it happen. The Logitech Harmony 880 is a leap ahead of many other universal remotes on the market.

No comments: