20051216




I am a big Vonage fan. I took my Vonage box on a trip to Europe a few years ago and enjoyed making and receiving calls to and from home that were basically as if I were sitting in San Francisco - no long distance charge even at a very, very long distance. Then Vonage offered a soft phone option that ended having to disconnect and haul around the physical Vonage modem, and instead, let me use my laptop and a headset to make those same 415 area code calls.

Today, Vonage has another offering for those who want VoIP on the go. It’s a $129.99 ($79.99 after rebate) handset that basically uses any open WiFi connection to make Vonage-based VoIP calls.

I'm very intrigued by these wifi phones. Maybe this has something to do with the current pricing of cellular phone plans in the States- in one word, expensive. I think that with city wide wireless hotspots under construction in many cities, these WiFi phones may be the wave of the future for urban dwellers.

No comments: