20051230

DIY Implantable RFID Tags




DIY RFID human implants are on the rise. I have found over sixteen instances of midnight engineers implanting RFID tags in their hands. The general excuse is for automation purposes. Examples such as unlocking a computer screen saver or opening doors that have been outfitted with electric deadbolts. In my own case the idea of implanting technology that I have researched and spec'd out was very appealing. The fact that it can actually do something useful is quite secondary. The most rewarding part of this project was learning about RFID at a much deeper level.


I would put this in the category of the "Time-Life Home Surgical Series." At first, I thought this was joke. When I saw the list of supplies, I was intrigued. There is a Quicktime video that shows the implant in all of its gory detail. Personally, I think this is dangerous. It's really not even a safe place in the body to implant a device into (there are reasons why doctors put pacemakers where they are, for example). I hope that noone is stupid enough to try this!

No comments: