20140724

Dlink 820L: Notes on Firmware 1.03b

I have had my issues with my Dlink 820L router, but at the last tech call, they did get it up and running.  I recently noticed that there was a firmware upgrade available for the router.  The release notes for firmware 1.03b were:

Firmware 1.03 
Date: 06/12/2014 
Release Notes: 
Fix the bug in web filter rule 
Update wireless driver 
Update copyright 

I figured it was worth giving it an upgrade.  My Sony Bluray player was still getting slow speeds from the Dlink of around 3 Mbps and to stream video was painful.

I downloaded the update, and upgraded the firmware on the Dlink screens (available by pointing your browser to 192.168.0.1).  I went from firmware 1.02 to 1.03.  The process took about 5 minutes.  They suggest that this is done via a wired connection, but I did this over WiFi and it was fine (although YMMV).

This firmware upgrade was a good one.  The 820L router's weakness has been on wireless performance, and this gets exposed in my testing, and is especially annoying obvious with my Bluray player when streaming.  After the firmware upgrade to 1.03, the signal is stronger and more stable to my WiFi devices.  I had no disconnects.  My Bluray player on another floor and a distance away from the router now is able to stream at 4 to 7 Mbps, which is a significant improvement, and far more usable.  While I have seen 14 Mbps from another AC router, with the firmware 1.03 the Dlink can now keep up easily with the streaming video of the Bluray.

For those experiencing WiFi issues with the DIR-820L from Dlink, this firmware upgrade is a welcome gift.


-Jonas

No comments: