20140611

Dlink DIR-820L Redux

My Dlink DIR-820L after a few weeks turned my network into a total mess.  I was running 3 networks simultaneously, including an 802.11n on 2.4 GHz, a guest network on the same frequency, and an 802.11ac on the 5 GHz frequency.  For whatever reason, it worked for a time, and then I was in the situation where all my devices were having issues:

  • Sony Bluray player that connected but was too slow to stream anything
  • Android 2.3 phone that consistently disconnected from the WiFi
  • Windows 8.1 tablet that could only connect to the 802.11ac network
  • Windows 8.1 notebook that could only connect to the guest network
As the problems accumulated, it was time to call for another WiFi consult.  I nicely complained to them at the support center that all my previous routers had worked out of the box, and had never had so many issues.  My internet connection is a cable modem from Optimum, with speeds of 18/5.  I was getting this on the 802.11ac network when I ran it on Speedtest.net, but on the 802.11n the download speeds were down to 4-6.

They talked me through getting this back down to the basics with a factory reset, initiated with pushing the reset button on the bottom of the unit with a paper clip hold.  When rebooted, they also had me download the firmware right off the Dlink website.  Than we proceeded to name the 802.11n and 802.11ac with new unique names.  I also did not setup a guest network.

I had low expectations at this point, but to my pleasant surprise, the gear than connected.  In addition, the 2.4 GHz speeds now run at the same speed as the 5 GHz speeds.  I think that the guest network was stealing away bandwidth, but not 100% sure.

--Jonas

No comments: