20110824

Acer Bets Wrong & Loses Big

I can fully admit that I am just slightly opinionated on technology. I have gone through more computers than I can count easily, and often get asked what to purchase.

My list of what not to buy goes long. It starts with Casio which sold me a watch, and it literally self destructed within a few months, and the company never answered my letter. It moves on to HP which IMHO ruined Compaq when they bought it, and refused to admit there was an issue with an external CDRW. I then also condemn Dell and Sony. While I have never owned either of their products, they are so unhelpful with customer service on their forums, I am glad to have avoided that pain.

So what the heck is left to buy you may wonder. Well, actually the only brand of notebook that I have purchased more than once is Acer. I have an Aspire notebook, and a Timeline CULV. While neither is perfect, they both are fine, and quite for the price.

However, Acer bet heavily on netbooks, and they are currently paying the price. They supposedly lost $234 million in the 2nd quarter, and are expected to have a similar 3rd quarter. Netbooks sales are simply down, and they won't be able to turn their product line on a dime.

I hope that Acer can get out of this. In the end their products are solid, and they should be able to shift. Their Android tablet the Aconia is intriguing and the upcoming 7" version should be worth parting with some cash soon for.

Engadget

No comments: