20051007

Digital Music Stereo Reviewed


While many folks (and car manufacturers) have gone the iPod route for digital car audio, Panasonic is taking a different approach. Their stereo can play both MP3 and WMA files from CDR's that you burn on your computer CD writer. This should provide about 10 hours of music per disc. On my last car trip, this definitely would have been a plus, rather than changing discs every 45 minutes. I want one!
The Panasonic CQ-C8400U is capable of playing any audio file I throw at it – from 64 KBPS WMA to 256 KBPS MP3, and had no trouble with variable bit rate songs. What it does have trouble with though is certain brands of CDs and/or the speed at which the CD is burned. If faced with a disc it cannot read properly, sometimes it will start playing a song, they stop halfway through, and other times it won't play at all. I did a fair amount of testing, and it seemed to have trouble with a generic brand of CDs that I was using. When I switched to Ritek CDs, I had no problems. It also worked well with the Verbatim LightScribe CDs

No comments: