20050708

Toshiba's Gigabeat


On the topic of MP3 players, the Gigabeat was highly anticipated from Toshiba. i think the kinks haven't been worked out yet, so pass for the time being.
The PlusTouch control was difficult to use, sometimes shooting me through lists too quickly and then requiring me to tap with my fingernail one menu option at a time to get where I wanted to go. Overall it’s unintuitive to operate. The Gigabeat has just a few buttons, but it does have a toggle switch for volume. That made it all the more frustrating when I was trying to change tracks with PlusTouch and a volume bar appeared on the display. If I can control volume from a hard button, that function shouldn’t be duplicated on the already-taxed PlusTouch sensor.



Using the PlusTouch was a frustration, whether I was trying to scroll through pictures or change tunes. When I tried to Bookmark a list of songs (you can store 50 to make an on-the-fly playlist), each time I picked a song, the device took me back to the beginning of the list of artists. So if I chose Indigo Girls, I wound up back at Air and had to scroll my way down. Given the difficulty of navigating with PlusTouch, it was an annoyance.

No comments: