20050701

Slingbox Reviews




Over at Live Digitally, they have a review of the new Slingbox. I've heard a lot about this thing, this is the first review I have seen of it. Basically you hook this up to your cable box, and than you can watch the stream over the internet from your computer. Pretty amazing stuff!

The local café is four blocks from my apartment, and has free WiFi for customers. My goal: watch the rest of the MTV Video awards, at a coffee shop! Finally my TiVo, Direct TV, Router, and Computer were working together in harmony. A grin fell over myself as I sat at the Café sipping a small decaf. I enjoyed my recorded television program with the same performance my desktop PC saw back in the apartment.


Here's what they said over at PC Mag:
As for the "why?" part of Slingbox: If you're traveling, you can catch the local news. You could use Slingbox to play a TiVo-recorded movie in your hotel room (might as well, as long as you're paying $10 a day for hotel broadband). Distant grandparents could see home movies stored on your DVR or Media Center PC; they'd just need the SlingPlayer software loaded on their PC (and a guest-access password). One or two of the channels you set up could be home security cameras that you connect to, say, your VCR's or TV's video-in jacks


For a slightly more end user experience, check this out.

No comments: