20120507

EASYi USB SD Card Reader for SD/SDHC Cards

 With the recent addition of some SDHC cards, it was time to purchase a reader.  While many notebooks have a reader built in already, I store my images in my desktop, which has the much larger hard drive (1.5 TB's).  For $3 on Amazon, the EASYi USB SD Card Reader for SD/SDHC Cards looked like it would get the job done.  After all, it had positive reviews on Amazon.

The item shipped in one of those hard plastic packs.  The kind that cause finger lacerations and trips to the local Emergency Department and work for the local hand surgeon.  After carefully opening it with a heavy scissor, the device was ready to go.  There is no software, just a USB plug and play device that has a slot on the side for an SD or SDHC card.


I plugged it into my USB port on my Windows 7 desktop.  When I inserted the card, it could read it, but could not delete anything, now write anything to it.  I figured the card had the write protect enabled via that little switch on the side, but upon examination it was clearly off and writeable.

Three other SD cards were tired, from 3 different memory manufacturers.  In each case, it was the same read only situation which I find quite limiting and frustrating.  To confirm my suspicion, all 3 cards were put into a notebook's SD slot, and the SD cards can be both read, and written to.

So, in summation, maybe I just got a bad one, but I find the EASYi USB SD Card Reader for SD/SDHC Cards to be dysfunctional.

Jonas

No comments: